image

THEN: President Street Station, located on President Street near the intersection with Fleet Street, was built in 1850 and played an important role during the Civil War as a train depot. On April 19, 1861, 700 members of the 6th Massachusetts Regiment arrived there on their way to Washington and were attacked by an angry mob, resulting in what historians regard as the first fatalities of the Civil War. (Baltimore Sun file photo, 1923)

image

NOW: The former President Street Station is now home to Baltimore’s Civil War Museum. It is the oldest surviving big-city rail terminal in the U.S., according to an article published in The Baltimore Sun in 2008. The building was built as the southern passenger terminal for the old Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore (PW&B) Railroad, later part of the Pennsylvania Railroad.(Kenneth K. Lam, Baltimore Sun photo, 2014)

Click here to see more now-and-then pictures