In 2004, the Hippodrome Theatre at 12 N. Eutaw St. reopened as part of the France-Merrick Performing Arts Center after a $62 million restoration. The theater first opened its doors in November of 1914, but it had been closed since the summer of 1990. The building was connected to surrounding properties so that architects could add modern amenities — such as larger lobbies, elevators and restrooms — without cutting into the original theater space. (Baltimore Sun photo, 1931)
1942: RCA Victor presented Glenn Miller and his Orchestra with a gold record, signifying more than a million copies sold, for their recording of “Chattanooga Choo Choo.”
1949: Arthur Miller’s play “Death of a Salesman” opened at Broadway’s Morosco Theater.
1988: The state Board of Public Works approved the design contract for an extension of the subway in downtown Baltimore to the Johns Hopkins medical complex. The estimated cost was $326 million.
1999: Raymond A. “Chip” Mason, chairman of Legg Mason Inc., rang the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange in celebration of the Baltimore-based securities firm’s 100th anniversary.