This is a scene after the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904, with National Guard troops patrolling streets as the businessmen surveyed the ruins. On the left, at the southwest corner of Baltimore and Light streets, was the site of the Hub, an early uptown store of the Hecht Company, adjacent to the Baltimore Trust Company, which is marked by the ruined clock stand. The firm eventually moved to the northeast corner of Baltimore and Charles streets one block away. (Baltimore Sun file photo.)
The Great Baltimore Fire of 1904 started at 10:50 a.m. on Feb. 7 and raged on until 5 p.m. the next day.