image

(Barbara Haddock Taylor, Baltimore Sun photo)

Sunday was the 205th birthday of writer Edgar Allan Poe, whose house at 203 N. Amity St., where he lived from 1832 to 1835, is a National Registered Historic Landmark.

Poe left the house in 1835, when he moved to Richmond with his wife and took over the editorship of “The Southern Literary Messenger.” He married his 13-year-old cousin Virginia that year.

image

(Amy Davis, Baltimore Sun photo)

She died in 1847 in Fordham, N.Y. While Poe never lived again in Baltimore, he died on Oct. 7, 1849, at the Baltimore City and Marine Hospital, and was buried in the Westminster Burying ground at Fayette and Greene streets.

Click here to read Fred Rasmussen’s full “Back Story” column on Poe’s Amity Street house.